Irish Students Visit Knolls

Mrs. Gottlieb

Morris Knolls Students share American culture with WIT students.

In January the Morris Knolls Chorale hosted students from The Waterford Institute of Technology in their homes for six days so that they could sing together the prestigious Carnegie Hall. After landing, the Irish choir was bussed to Morris Knolls where they met with their host families.

Everyone became friends instantaneously, giving relief to those who were previously nervous about allowing a stranger from another country into their homes.

One of the students in the Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) choir Tomás Moore stated “Most would question the idea of allowing strangers into their home, let alone from over 3,000 miles away, but the Morris Knolls choir welcomed us with open arms.”

Back in April of 2015, the Morris Knolls Chorale traveled to Ireland where they first met the WIT choir. During their time in Ireland, MK students stayed in hotels, but after singing in Christ Church located in the Irish choir’s hometown of Waterford the students became close with their new Irish friends. While in Ireland, the two groups experienced a kaylee. Where students danced together and had a great time. Many exchanged information such as Snapchats and Instagram accounts and have stayed in touch since the trip.

For a week in January, while Morris Knolls studnets sat in school, the WIT choir traveled to New York City, visiting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero, Top of the Rock, and Time Square. On that Saturday both choirs traveled to Carnegie Hall to sing at the 2pm concert. After the concert the WIT choir stayed in a nearby hotel for an overnight in the city.

Many of the students in the WIT choir enjoyed their stay in New York City, but by far, their favorite part of the trip to America was staying with the Morris Knolls Chorale in their homes and learning about our culture.

Another WIT choir member, Jack Tierney, spoke highly of the trip saying, “I enjoyed staying with my host family and had an amazing time. You all welcomed us with open arms and I can never thank you enough.” Although singing at Carnegie Hall was the highlight of the trip, after an informal concert the day before, a large group of Morris Knolls students brought their Irish friends to half apps at Applebee’s to enjoy another American experience.

Many Morris Knolls students are already looking to go back to Ireland in the future to visit the international friends that they have gotten so close to during the past year.

It was a sad goodbye but a good experience for both choirs, one that neither group will forget. Saoirse English of the WIT choir stated on the last day, “This was the best experience ever and we couldn’t have done it without the Morris Knolls Choir cheering us on the whole way!”