Student Production – Before it Breaks

Tatiana Newman, Editor-in-Chief

The student production this year was a show written and directed by seniors Liz Vex and Danielle Iuliani. It was a piece called Before it Breaks and it was a drama including some musical pieces meant to spread awareness on depression. It was a story about two best friends that have a rocky time during their freshman year of high school, which leads to one of them having a really hard time coping with her feelings of anxiety and depression.

Liz Vex

Liz Vex says, “The piece meant a lot to me. I worked on it for such a long time and to see it fully come together was incredible.” Vex has been involved in the theatre and music programs at Knolls throughout her high school career. “To have the opportunity to write the student production and to have the opportunity to share such an important message with our student body means the world to me. I hope that everyone was touched by our production tonight, and that the message within the piece was fully conveyed to the audience.”

As audience members left the stage, many appeared to be taken by the story. Senior, Emily Reilly, said, “It was such a good piece. Everyone is so talented, and it really hit me, especially the parts where the mom is upset. It kept having me thinking about how our actions hurt others too.”

The piece had a strong message and was very popular as there were a lot of audience members on each night of the show. The student production is a fun event that many look forward to each year, and this year’s show was definitely a success.