Being a Youth Delegate for the United Nations

View from UN HQ

View from UN HQ

Tatiana Newman

Tatiana Newman

View from UN HQ

Youth Assembly Sign

This year, I had the honor of attending the Winter Conference at the United Nations as a Youth Delegate. The conference was in New York City and lasted three days in February; sessions took place at the UN headquarters building on First Avenue and at the Roosevelt Hotel. I felt incredibly honored to be able to attend this event, to be educated on the problems facing our world, and to witness and take part in the problem-solving process that ambassadors go through on a regular basis.

Tatiana Newman
View from UN HQ

Conferences at the UN headquarters mainly discussed issues facing our society, including human trafficking, worldwide hunger, and the dangers of the internet. The sessions at the Roosevelt Hotel were based on environmental issues, such as climate change.

I had the option to be a delegate, spectator, or to go as a group with other delegates or spectators–meaning we would speak as one in the sessions, but discuss ideas together.

Students from high school and college came from all over the world and had the opportunity to meet one another, and discuss ideas together. During lunch breaks, discussions focused on conference topics and where we came from. It was exciting getting to walk around the city with people who had never been to New York before, and to get to see how excited they were.

Conference Room

I was personally representing the Czech Republic and the United States. I met people from Germany, France, Zimbabwe, Australia, Japan, and Poland, among others. So many of these young individuals had great ideas for non-profit organizations that they were already in the process of starting. The fact that such young people are capable of such important work was inspiring to me. It left me wanting to be a part of making a difference in the world as well.

The whole experience was a lot of fun. It was also an excuse to get all dressed up three days in a row, take the train into the city, and feel independent and connected to other people from all over the world. It was a huge learning opportunity for me and every part of it was worth it.

General Assembly Room

If any students are interested, the program is called the Youth Assembly at the United Nations and it runs through the Friendship Ambassadors. There are sessions in the Summer and Winter, and applications open for the next Winter sessions in December. Everyone is welcome, including individuals who have graduated from college.

Tatiana Newman, Editor-in-Chief

Hi! I'm Tatiana, I am Editor-in-Chief of The Quill and I love covering fashion and writing reviews. I am studying English in college and aspire to be an...