Valentine’s Day Cards for Cooperman Barnabas

Grace Ort, Editor

On Tuesday, January 24th, members of the MK Leo Club, Key Club, and Interact Club met in the senior cafeteria to make Valentine’s Day cards for Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center. Dozens of students participated in this event and expressed uplifting words of encouragement in their cards. Mrs. Fischetti, one of the advisors for Leo Club, was present at the event and stated, “Students made a total of about 100 cards that day for the hospital’s staff and patients.” 

Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center, located in Livingston, is one of the oldest hospitals in New Jersey. In addition to being highly rated by community members, this hospital is a Level II Trauma Center, meaning that its staff are trained to deal with the highest levels of injury and sickness. Students who took part in this event did so in the hope that they could bring some joy to staff and patients, who will hopefully benefit from the kind words expressed in the cards. 

Leo Club, Key Club, and Interact Club are some of the most popular community service clubs at Morris Knolls, and the clubs often collaborate with each other in service projects and fundraisers. Their hope is to inspire students to incorporate giving into their everyday lives and to instill the values of service in them for years to come. The making of Valentine’s Day cards is an example of the simple but meaningful ways that the clubs make a difference in local communities. As sophomore Cayla Feingold, a member of Leo Club, says, “I have loved being able to spend time with my friends while also participating in events that help benefit the community. It’s nice to know that I am helping someone in need or putting a smile on someone’s face.” 

These service clubs will be hosting more events as the school year progresses. Students who are interested are encouraged to reach out to the teachers in charge of these clubs to find out how they, too, can contribute to community service projects. 

Key Club: Mrs. Hudak

Interact Club: Mrs. Rock

Leo Club: Mrs. Opalewski, Mrs. Fischetti