The Trials of Tourette Syndrome

Amanda White, Writer

On Oct. 6, Morris Knolls students attended the first assembly of the year and met Mr. Naturale, who is a teacher at Montville High School. He was asked to come and present to our school about Tourette Syndrome, which was the focus of the district wide 2017 summer reading book. While Mr. Naturale did not write the assigned book Front of the Class, he relates to the author, Brad Cohen, in a way very few can understand: they both have Tourette Syndrome. His story echoed many similarities and differences with the novel. He faced many of the same challenges Cohen did, challenges that come with having Tourette’s. Mr. Naturale reflected on his past and stated that he can easily identify with Brad Cohen’s story through the trials of bullying, the pressures at school and being accepted like everyone else.

During the presentation, Mr. Naturale shared his struggles and explained the specifics of having Tourette Syndrome. In his childhood he was bullied because of his ticks, and school work became a challenge to complete, “I would need a lot of extra time on weekends and nights doing homework,” Naturale shared. Due to his tics, the time taken to complete a task was doubled. This was a common occurrence for Brad Cohen in his school days as well, except unlike Cohen, Mr. Naturale had a group of friends throughout middle and high school that supported him through the trials of Tourette’s. His grandmother also came to his aid when his parents grew too emotional.

Facing the odds as he advanced through school, the negativity of others and the constant support of his friends and family drove Mr. Naturale to prove to the world that he could become successful. “He was very inspiring,” commented Daniel Yassa, sophomore, after the assembly, “his story is an example to everyone that no matter what obstacles you face, if you have the determination you will always pull through.” His motivation to be accomplished in life lead him to his teaching career where he realized that he could help students that were just like him. By working as a Special Education Teacher, Naturale’s experience in dealing with his own disability allows him to advise kids with special needs with another level of understanding. Like Brad Cohen, Mr. Naturale encourages the prospect of coloring outside the lines and accepting those who are different. His story –like Cohen’s– is one that helps spread empathy, support and understanding to everyone who struggles, not just those with disabilities. Richard Vuong, sophomore, also elaborated upon Mr. Naturale’s message, “he and Brad Cohen both shared their stories in a way that can reach all kids today about how understanding is key to accepting all people we meet.”

The summer reading book, Front of The Class, gave visibility to people who had little to no understanding of Tourette’s, and other disabilities. By reading Cohen’s story, the reader gained a greater understanding of life from the perspective of someone who is different and wishes to be accepted by all. The goal of this book and all summer reading books, is to address current issues that may not be known widely, and to educate students on problems that not all necessarily face, but that others live through.

If you are interested in commissioning the next summer reading book for 2018, pick up a contest form and write a brief essay explaining why your chosen book would make a good assignment for this summer. The winner of the contest receives a $100 Amazon gift card so don’t miss out!