Leo Club Holiday Party at White Meadow Lake

Tricia Cole, Staff Writer

On the second day of December in 2017, a holiday dinner was held at the White Meadow Lake Clubhouse for low-income families. This year approximately 50 people volunteered and 200 families attended the annual event organized and held by the Morris Knolls and Hills Leo Club. There were student volunteers from the Morris Hills Regional District and people from the White Meadow lake community helping to run the event. Volunteers came to the Clubhouse and wrapped dolls, action figures, books, makeup and more.

The day of the party, families who came were greeted at the door and seated at tables filled with bread, salad, pasta, and meatballs.  They were served dessert at the end of the night, all of which was provided by the club. There were smiles everywhere as everyone enjoyed the night. Kids got to color holiday themed pictures and visited Santa, who they got to take pictures with and receive toys from.  Additionally, each family was given food to take home.

“I love volunteering for the Leo Club… especially for the holiday dinner.” Melanie Danessi, a dedicated and bilingual Leo Club member of Morris Hills said. “… we gave out gifts that corresponded to the kid’s age … I have been volunteering for about 4 years. I translated for people, served the food, helped set up and clean up. I would say it was a success, and a lot of fun.”

The families enjoyed their dinners and the colorful and festive decorations on the tables in the event hall. The volunteers also enjoyed giving their time to help the people in their community.

After the event, Irene Fischetti, the Club Leader of the Morris Knolls Leo Club said to the student volunteers, “…thank you to those of you involved in the events on Sunday and Monday…  I can assure you it was a big success! The professionalism you all showed is so admirable!”

If you would like to get involved and volunteer at this event in December 2018, you can contact the Leo Club leader Ms. Fischetti at her email [email protected].