The Student News Site of Morris Knolls High School

The Quill

The Quill

The Quill

The Many Types of Tests

Throughout the school year, students will be taking many classes with their own unique types of exams. These can range from the basic common assessments–more commonly referred to as quarterlies–to more advanced college level AP Exams. This is a guide to the different types of assessments that Morris Knolls Students can expect in the 2023-2024 school year.

1. Common Assessments

Common assessments are the most common type of major test that almost all students will take as they occur for all core subjects and many elective courses, and only AP classes are excluded. These tests encompass the quarter’s material. Many students refer to them as quarterlies as they occur for all quarters except for the 3rd Quarter. The common assessments of the first quarter occurred in November.  On each day, two quarterlies are given, one every other block. The second marking period Common Assessments will take place through January 22-25th

1. Midterms

More uncommonly, midterms are given during the second quarter, as it is the middle of the school term. Most required full year course classes do not have them, however almost all semester classes, such as SAT Bootcamp or Astronomy do. 

1. Finals

Finals are the culmination of the entire year’s material. Although not school initiated, the final schedule may vary from class to class. They are very class dependent, and some core classes, such as shop classes, do not have them.

1. AP Exams

Finally, AP Exams are very similar to finals in the sense that they encompass the entire year’s learning. However, they are internationally administered through the College Board and are comparable to college level finals. They occur in the month of May, usually all in the span of 2 weeks.

It can be nerve wracking to see exams of this magnitude for the first time, but it is much more manageable than one may think.To wrap this all up, here are some upperclassmen’s views on their first time around taking these tests. Junior Emma McMahon recalls, “ In freshman year, I was really overwhelmed for exams in the subjects I struggled with, but with the proper planning, I ended up doing well on them.” Another student, Luca Doroshuk comments on AP exams, “The feeling that you’re not gonna get even 75% of them right is crazy. It really is a true challenge.”

To all first time and experienced test takers alike, good luck!

Week 1 Morning 8 a.m.
Local Time
Afternoon 12 p.m.
Local Time
Monday,
May 6, 2024
United States Government and Politics Art History

Chemistry

Tuesday,
May 7, 2024
Human Geography

Microeconomics

Seminar

Statistics

Wednesday,
May 8, 2024
English Literature and Composition Comparative Government and Politics

Computer Science A

Thursday,
May 9, 2024
Chinese Language and Culture

Environmental Science

Psychology
Friday,
May 10, 2024
European History

United States History

Macroeconomics

Spanish Literature and Culture

Art and Design: Friday, May 10, 2024 (8 p.m. ET), is the deadline for AP Art and Design students to submit their three portfolio components as final in the AP Digital Portfolio.

Week 2 Morning 8 a.m.
Local Time
Afternoon 12 p.m.
Local Time
Afternoon 2 p.m.
Local Time
Monday,
May 13, 2024
Calculus AB

Calculus BC

Italian Language and Culture

Precalculus

Tuesday,
May 14, 2024
English Language and Composition African American Studies

Physics C: Mechanics

Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism
Wednesday,
May 15, 2024
French Language and Culture

World History: Modern

Computer Science Principles

Music Theory

Thursday,
May 16, 2024
Spanish Language and Culture Biology

Japanese Language and Culture

Friday,
May 17, 2024
German Language and Culture

Physics 1: Algebra-Based

Latin

Physics 2: Algebra-Based