The Student News Site of Morris Knolls High School

The Quill

The Quill

The Quill

How Does MK Spend Snow Days?

How Does MK Spend Snow Days?

Now that winter has finally arrived, snowy weather and freezing temperatures have returned, as well as the highly anticipated snow days. Even before November hit, students had been awaiting the first snow day, but for a lot of people, a snow day means something more than just a day off. Some may see it as a day to relax and sleep in, others may view it as an extra day to study. Since the start of the year, there have been three days off due to weather: one “rain day”, one day filled with snowflakes and frost, and one that happened very recently that gave us a foot of snow. Here’s how the students of Morris Knolls spend their snow days.

Siya Patel, a sophomore here at Knolls, recalls her snow days. ”I like to wake up late, do some homework, watch the snow fall, and watch a movie,” she says. “I also like to play in the snow and drink hot chocolate.” As work begins to pile up following common assessments, snow days can act as extra days to complete work and study for tests.

Another lover of snow days, Amelia Raybould, said, “I wake up later than usual, and I eat breakfast in bed. I like to watch the snowfall and play video games. I play with my dog in the snow, and I also enjoy helping my dad make a fire.” Many students agree that snow days are a way to reset and relax.

Senior Natalia Montes shares, “I usually make myself a big breakfast with waffles and watch Gilmore Girls, specifically the episodes that take place in winter to get myself in the appropriate mood. I also like to Facetime my friends, and I try to get homework done but I usually give myself an off day from school work.” It’s obvious  that while many enjoy the break from school, they find it important to stay connected with friends in these cold times.

Taking time off from school can be very beneficial to students, and snow days seem to do the trick. As we transition into spring soon, we can expect fewer snow days and warmer weather to come as Knolls looks forward to spring break.