The Student News Site of Morris Knolls High School

The Quill

The Quill

The Quill

Santos Expelled From House of Representatives

After almost a year of scandal surrounding his personal and professional background, George Santos was at last expelled from his office as a Congressman of New York on December 1, 2023. This is only the sixth time in America’s history that the US House of Representatives has gained the necessary ⅔ supermajority vote to remove a lawmaker from office. It is the first time in history that a lawmaker from the GOP (Grand Old Party) has been expelled from office, making this event monumental on all accounts. 

The New York Times first uncovered news of Santos’ lies to the public in December of 2022, shortly after he had been elected as Congressman of New York’s Third District. Since that initial report, there has been an endless slew of information from public and private sources regarding the extensive fraud that Santos committed prior to and during his congressional campaign. Among the shocking allegations are claims that Santos lied to his campaign donors, used money from his campaign to purchase luxury clothes and botox, committed identity theft, and fabricated most of his personal background, including the universities he attended, his religious affiliation, and where he had worked prior to being elected.

Needless to say, the backlash over Santos’ lies was significant, prompting members of the House Ethics Committee to conduct an investigation of the allegations. The committee then published their findings in a report that is available for the public to read, linked here. Despite the condemning evidence presented in the report, it took the House of Representatives three attempts to expel Santos. He was eventually removed from the House with a bipartisan vote of 311-114, with 105 Republicans voting in favor of his removal. Santos is now being prosecuted in federal court on a myriad of charges, including fraud, conspiracy, and identity theft. 

The Santos Scandal is only the latest development in a series of events that have marred America’s political landscape in recent years. From the capital riots of January 6th, to Donald Trump’s impeachment, to the misconduct of Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, and finally to the recent removal of former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy amid several threats of a government shutdown, it seems that the nation is entering into a new era of political instability. 

This has particularly heavy implications for members of GenZ, the nation’s newest generation of voters who will watch in their lifetimes as the full effects of today’s political mishaps come to fruition. Members of the Morris Knolls community are evidently tracking these developments with rapt attention. When asked for his opinion on Santos’ expulsion and its implications for America’s political future, junior Eric Alexander remarked, “I’m not too worried about elections in the future, as I think that it’s easy to spot a liar.” However, other members of the Morris Knolls community feel differently, as voiced by senior Sara Gomez. Responding to the situation, Sara stated, “We have to be more careful about who we elect.” 

Considering the sheer scope of political scandals that seem to be appearing constantly in national media, members of the nation’s younger generations, including students at Morris Knolls, feel that it is important to be vigilant in future elections. Currently, there are no term limits for members of the House of Representatives, meaning that, unless a lawmaker is voted out of office by their colleagues, a corrupt politician may be reelected by gathering a majority of constituent votes. Alarming? Some students definitely think so, presenting a concerning picture of the future. “The situation worries me,” commented senior Angelika Brzyzek. “We need to make sure this doesn’t happen in future elections.” Only time will tell the effects of these recent events, but the upcoming presidential election in 2024 is sure to include plenty of debate on the topic.